I am a qualified and professional counsellor and psychotherapist, accredited by the National Counselling Society.
I am passionate about helping people with social anxiety because I have been there. I struggled with social anxiety for most of my teens and early twenties. At school and in my social life I really struggled with the belief that I wasn’t good enough. There were so many things that I wanted to do but couldn’t because I knew that I wouldn’t be able to do them without failing and looking stupid.
Approaching mid-twenties I decided to try to beat my anxiety and take back control of my life. I had two lots of therapy – one of traditional counselling and one of CBT with the NHS. I also spent a lot of time researching and practising activities that other people said had helped them with anxiety.
Putting all of this together slowly helped me to learn that I was good enough, that other people did like me if I acted like myself. Over the years my confidence has grown and although I can still experience social anxiety at times, I'm pretty happy with how I am.
As a therapist, I love being able to support people to go through the same process that I went through. I have an absolute belief that everyone who experiences social anxiety can overcome it and be genuinely happy with who they are.
If you want to find out more about how we can work together to beat your social anxiety, please click here.
"Richard helped me to manage my depression and anxiety in a way that medication couldn't. I feel like I can live a normal life again." - A former client
Qualifications and Experience
My qualifications include:
- Advanced Certificate in Relationship Therapy - 2 years of training
- Higher Diploma in Counselling Practice - 2 years of training
- Advanced Certificate in Counselling Skills - 1 year of training
- Certificate in Counselling Skills - 1 year of training
It is important to me that I am able to offer you the very best chance to reach your goals. To do this I attend additional regular training sessions throughout the year which includes:
- Adult Attachment Behaviour
- Ethical Practice Conference
- Sex and love addiction
- Advanced Couples Counselling - Sex and Ageing
- Working creatively with clients
- Treating social anxiety disorder
- Advanced Couples Counselling - Couples in Conflict
- Working with clients using techniques from Gestalt theory
- Working with anxiety
- Pregnancy Loss
- Working with clients using techniques from Transactional Analysis
- Domestic Abuse training
My main training placement was with New Dawn Counselling Service in Weston-super-Mare. I successfully worked with a variety of clients of all ages, backgrounds and difficulties.
Aside from experience of working with clients I also:
- Mentor trainee and newly qualified counsellors
- Give presentations to trainees in colleges
I have been awarded Accredited status by the National Counselling Society. Being accredited means that you can be assured of receiving a high-quality and professional service from me. To be awarded with accredited status, practitioners must demonstrate that they are competent to practice by completing a recognised, high-quality training course, have regular clinical supervision with a qualified supervisor, completing a minimum number of supervised clinical hours and attend regular Continuing Professional Development training throughout the year to keep knowledge and skills up to date.